Position: Tax Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Partner
Summary of Responsibilities:
Performing tax research and working with clients on tax matters as well as planning and implementing special projects. The Tax Manager is responsible for the compliance function on clients including supervising the preparation and technical review of corporate, partnership and personal income tax returns.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identifies and implements tax planning and consulting opportunities
- Reviews complex individual, business, multi-state corporate tax and S corporation tax returns for small to medium sized business, high net worth individuals, trusts & estates, and foundations
- Conducts review of federal and state income tax returns for corporate, S corp., partnership and individual clients
- Reviews of client tax calculations
- Manages client tax relationships
- Supervises and develops staff along with the ability to manage client relationships, multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Manages, directs and monitors multiple client engagements as well as serves as a business advisor to the client.
- Identifies and assists with implementation of tax planning and tax savings strategies.
- Researches and consults on complex tax matters.
- Manages and develops staff in a highly interactive team environment.
- Develops and owns client relationships with a variety of clients in various industries
- Manages multiple teams and providing performance feedback to all members of those teams at the conclusion of engagements
- Anticipates and addresses client concerns and resolves problems as they arise
- Promotes new ideas and business solutions that result in extended services to existing clients
- Keeps abreast of latest developments and the firm’s standards and policies
- Keeps abreast of industry developments and their effects on client’s competitive position
- Responds to client and firm associate requests in a timely, accurate, positive and professional manner
- Prepares client correspondence, letters, e-mail, or other communications pertaining to engagement planning and requests
- Researches tax issues
- Communicates with engagement leaders regarding open items or other important matters in a timely manner
- Adheres to prescribed budgets and deadlines
- Develops technical competency
- Recognizes potential issues and/or opportunities in engagements and discuss with engagement leader
- Provides technical assistance to clients
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- BS in Accounting required, Masters in Taxation is a plus
- CPA or eligibility to sit for CPA required
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience in public accounting or corporate/public blend
- Consolidated C-Corp, FAS 109, FIN 48, partnership, S-Corp, Individual and/or multi-state experience
- Ability to grow strong client relationships
- Possess effective writing, communication and tax research skills
- Ability to mentor and develop staff
- Experience with tax technology
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of multi-state tax laws.
- Ability to communicate clearly in writing and verbally.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines by setting priorities with work projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and clients.
- Proficient with computers, Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), QuickBooks and using various software packages.
- Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching.
- Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
- Hearing must be in the normal range for telephone contacts.
- Requires the ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Prompt and dependable attendance.
The duties described above are the general nature and level of work performed but are not intended to be a complete comprehensive list of all the duties, activities, and responsibilities required of job incumbents. Supervisors or managers may ask job incumbents to perform other duties as needed and/or required.
Management has the right to revise this position description at any time. The position description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason. PWB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.